Version 0.4

wheybags
Site Admin

Version 0.4

Post by wheybags »

qualakon

Re: Version 0.4

Post by qualakon »

Nicely done, I love the extra effort you've been putting in lately. I see your updates and comments in Github. I see scripting is coming down the pipe. Looks quite involved but overall solid effort. I'll play with this new release this weekend and let you know what I think.

Is there a discord for this project? I'm wondering if it's worth doubling up with someone else who has a channel themselves. I don't think you're too active on DevX discord unless you're hiding your name like I am. :)

Cheers!

wheybags
Site Admin

Post by wheybags »

We don't have a discord yet unfortunately, I noticed you're resurrecting khanduras.net soon yourself, would be happy to collaborate with thatif you're interested.
Tbh I'm on a few discords but not active on any of them :p

qualakon

Post by qualakon »

Hey Wheybags,

I promised I'd give you an update when I tried out 0.4 so here it is!

First off, launcher looks great. I'm assuming that's cross platform? I only tried it on Windows. I have a vision for how that can look, I want to have a launcher that looks and feels (and sounds) like the autorun from the original Diablo disk. I have a program made for Windows that does that but nothing for other platforms and it's pretty large. I haven't looked at your code yet, I'm assuming the launcher is open source as well?

Secondly, I love new tools for Diablo 1. CEL/CL2 viewer worked great for everything I tried except for one which I'm suspecting the trader.cel file I have that's probably just corrupted. It reminds me a lot of Savage Steel's graphics tool but yours is probably cross-platform as well? Good job on it. Both tools are pretty close to replacing TDG tool but any plans to convert PNG/GIFs back to CEL/CL2 format? The reverse of the export functions you have now?

For the main event, we have Freeablo 0.4! I have to say, good job man. I played a multiplayer game, attacked some melee enemies below the town and tried out some interfaces. FPS looks really good. Is the game running at 20 fps still like the original game (and Dev/Devx) or is the tick rate locked to the game's FPS? Or something else :P

Still lots more ahead, I like the work you've put in since dropping your hours. I have to mention scripting because I'm excited for it. I want to try it out but understand it takes time and work to make that operational.

Khanduras has soft-launched meaning it's open to registration. I am still trying out some extensions for a download repository. I have one now but not super happy with it, might try out a different one but these things cost money. I have some old-but-neat mods and tools I'd like to share, as well as create the ability to have others share and upload their own files/resources. I also need CSS work done badly, I forgot how bad I was at it. Any suggestions of people you've worked with or know personally that can help?

Anyway, long post to say congratulations and can't wait to see more to come.

Cheers,

Daniel

wheybags
Site Admin

Post by wheybags »

re: cross platform, yep, the whole thing is cross platform, launcher + all

> any plans to convert PNG/GIFs back to CEL/CL2 format?
Nope, not for now, it's really a glorified development tool, I just put it in the release since I figured people might like to play around with it.
That said, if anyone did implement that, I wouldn't say no to merging it.

> Is the game running at 20 fps still like the original game
Nope, it's 60fps under the hood, but could actually be configured to any tick rate you wanted (with some caveats).

Thanks for the review :)