Some questions :)

MrCagey

Some questions :)

Post by MrCagey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Hello, I am looking around the interwebs for a good engine to make my isometric rpg in.

I am playing around with fife, but if the diablo engine is open here I am considering using that.
I want to make an oldschool isometric rpg with prerendered asset, but with modern renders and resolutions.

Would this engine suit me you think?

Can you sell a game developed in this engine if there are no diablo asset involved?

wheybags
Site Admin

Re: Some questions :)

Post by wheybags » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Sure, you're free to use the engine however you want, but it is GPL, so you'll have to distribute the source code if you modify it at all (which ATM you would have to do, a lot)

The engine isn't really ready yet to start developing a third party game (or to play Diablo, lol), but if you want to try then go ahead. In future I hope to make this a pretty easy process, by making a level editor and adding scripting, but for now the engine is still pretty basic.

MrCagey

Post by MrCagey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:37 am

Cool keep up the great work.
Would be awesome to see a map editor one day :)
Would love to help out, but I am not mainly a programmer so wouldn't be much help :)

wheybags
Site Admin

Post by wheybags » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 am

In that case, you'd probably be best using something like unity, but there'll always be only so far you can go without learning programming yourself (unless you want to just get someone else to do that part)