Open Source Diablo Clone

qualakon

Open Source Diablo Clone

Post by qualakon »

Historically, Diablo and Hellfire mod makers have been using ASM and Hex editing to add new content to the game. The prospects of an open source Diablo clone is fantastic and it wouldn't be the first time a project like this has come to light. Project DDT was another Diablo clone and at one point the mod which became Chochlik was slated to be open source. The beauty of Freeablo is that it actually delivered, however is in a very incomplete state. The way forward is long and requires a lot of work.

The only way this project will continue is if it still feels fun for all of those involved. The more people we have that are enjoying their time while working on Freeablo, the more successful it will be. For some this may seem like a no-brainer however it's a good place to start and keep in mind.

Several weeks ago I got mad at the closed-source HD Diablo 1 mod Belzebub as I was originally under the impression its code and resources would be made available so others could do the same thing. After hearing the news that this would not be happening, I responded with a blog post outlining why something like a Diablo 1 engine should be open source.
Longivity - With an open-source engine, we can ensure that the games created with the engine and tools will work on future systems.
Extendability - With multiple contributers, we can get more done in less time and more ideas will come out of it and create tools for compiling the server and game client.
Security - Hundreds of contributers will have access to the code ensuring the software we install on our computers is safe.
Adaptability - Depending on the dedication of the contributers, we can get the engine running on Mac, Linux and Windows, and if we’re lucky, Android.
Extensibility - Properly coded with a scripting language could allow for new modders come in with new content and resources, allowing for what’s never been done before, a total conversion.
Forkability - Github wasn’t around 18 years ago. New projects could come to life because of what we do here.
:: Taken from: Why Closed Source Development Isn't Working

Seeing Freeablo on GitHub was excellent and exactly what I wanted. It took a little bit to compile into a Visual Studio solution but I got it and was able to build my own version of Freeablo. Very exciting, even in its infant form.

Last week I was talking with a couple members of Khanduras and we were on a mission to decompile Hellfire and reimplement with OpenGL (with Glew) however you have made this project obsolete not before I wrote a plan of what I wanted to accomplish with Khanduras.net.
  1. Disassemble Hellfire to understand how it works, recompile for newer systems.
  2. Reconstruct it using update libraries (OpenGL) and separate out data and functions to Lua files or similar scripting language.
  3. Create an editor along the same line of thought that StarEdit is to Starcraft.
  4. Design and create a mod using this editor/engine combination.
  5. Khanduras Network will foster a community about these ideas, showcasing progress in projects and talent.
:: Taken from The Plan

@wheybags Judging from your GitHub issues page, it seems you want to do something similar, even further along it than I am. I would strongly suggest you work with Hellfire for several reasons that I can explain if you want. I know you've express interest in creating the GUI next which I find exciting. What's your plan for a editor? I wanna know what challenges you have yet to over come.

Have you thought of changing the name? I've received some concern over the similarity with Diablo and if you recall Freecraft had to eventually get renamed to Stratagus. I suggest the name Dungus, combining dungeon with Stratagus.

wheybags
Site Admin

Re: Open Source Diablo Clone

Post by wheybags »

What you described is pretty much what I want to do, but I don't plan on making any actual mods myself.
Re the name, I reckon it should be fine "ablo" is a bit too little for a lawyer to get upset about, and ultimately if they do we can still change it then. Besides, I like the name :3

qualakon

Re: Open Source Diablo Clone

Post by qualakon »

This is the most educational and professional Diablo 1 project yet. It has huge potential and I can't wait to see where it goes.