Hello

hythlodaeus

Re: Hello

Post by hythlodaeus »

http://freegamer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04 ... -weve.html

There you go. Sorry I got a bit carried away with frustrations towards Blizzard.

Necrolis

Post by Necrolis »

Saw this a while back on reddit, said I'd try add some stuff when I had time, so here I am :)

I run a windows env, so first thing I did was remove the need for dirent.h (you have boost fs but the guy patches in posix stuff that the MSVC users need to add...) and sent a pull request, anyways I'll probably start looking into the open tickets and fixing stuff with the time chunks I have here and there (oh and if my commit notes seem harsh, just ignore it, it comes from years of reviewing horrid code :P), mixed in with some compiler warnings.

Just two things I would like to give feedback on:
1) Adding scripting is great, however, you need to add it at the right time, else you much effort gets put into making sure the script interface matches the code, which tends to lead to bit-rot and an unmaintainable API. IMO it would be a lot better to focus on building the engine, getting it to a point where its ready to handle "full-on" mods and design a properly spec'd API for the scripts (this also removes possible over-engineering with too much being exposed to the scripts).

2) I'd say it would be a good idea to get rid of the dependency on diablo.exe ASAP, it really makes the toolchain very awkward, as well as the data storage. Might be a good idea to just rip all the data now into a portable format (JSON, CSV, TSV, etc) then there is one less thing to worry about (and puts more emphasis on getting a proper data system into place).

wheybags
Site Admin

Post by wheybags »

Re adding scripting: I think you're absolutely right, I have no plans to do this until the engine is far more complete.
On Diablo.exe, I want to avoid generating files as much as possible. It only loads data, so it's not too messy, and I want to design the mod data file format as a whole, incorporating maps, scripts and the type of info that is currently in diablo.exe

Ghuntar

Post by Ghuntar »

Happy to see the project goes on (UI added as seen in the github). I'll try to compile soon.

wheybags
Site Admin

Post by wheybags »

Yeah, I am still making slow progress, but I've been pretty busy lately so, unfortunately the emphasis is on slow :(
I'll try to start working on it more often